Monday 11 June 2007

WAR

WAR - Rather Churchill's: "To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war." Talking about Iraq, as we were not, and Saudi arms deals, which we were, then this is most appropriate. Why are we selling to Saudi when we are the ones who send soldiers to fight in the Middle East? I worked in all the major British TV News operations and the pictures of war we censored, purely, and I stress "purely", on the grounds of taste, whether breakfast tv or evening tv, would make any mother, father etc. think a thousand times before allowing their beloved offspring to go to war. Okay, I know people are maimed and killed in war and I know there are times when there is no alternative, my mum made sure I knew what real war was like i.e. the Second World War when 22 year old pilots came home without genitals and troops were pulled from the English Channel with their faces burnt off. But that was what I would describe as a Churchillian War, one where we needed to fight evil. We also went out to conquer those we saw as evil. What on earth are we doing in Iraq when we do not even control Baghdad? Let's have more novels like BAGHDAD BOOMERANG or should I call it KIDNAPPING THE PRESIDENT. At least it's got a few true points to make about this war -- oh my god, it's also got a happy ending. Ah well, we all have Hollywood dreams!!! Anyway, onto more serious matters -- who's winning Big Brother tonight, and do they wear clothes?

No comments: