Saturday 23 June 2007

OUT AND ABOUT

After all the depression of reading about publishing and the difficulty of, decided to go out with the g/f and her flash new camera to take pictures to illustrate THE DARK KINGDOM. Why I started putting up pictures in the first place I do not know. However, the idea is working. What surprised me was that after playing about with a few old pix that fitted what was in my imagination I came across a few more pix that sparked off ideas for DK. This has never happened before. Obviously I have seen things in real life that made connections with my writing, but this is the first time I've used photographic images in this way. Rather getting into it. We went off to a remarkable old church that was nothing like the description we had been given. Then, on our way back, ran into a National Trust small stately home, if any stately home can ever be described as small, and found a goldmine. I won't give the game away by telling you exactly what we did discover since when you see it I'm hoping you will be enchanted by what we've done with it. In other words, it might spoil the final effect to know what the raw material was. Having done that, we sat in a pub for a couple of hours reviewing the pictures. During that process, with hardly any alcohol, the idea for a movie, stage show and animated website was born. All because of one picture in a place we never intended to visit simply because we didn't know it was there and even if we had done we would never have thought to look at an object that would not have been in the guidebook. Strange world. Rather like the creative process - you may take that sentence in both meanings.

No comments: