Sunday 17 June 2007

Do I call it THE VENAL or THE FERAL?

Someone give me an answer. This article in The Sunday Times, by Simon Jenkins, certainly explains why we need a Free Press. Times are going to become much tougher for all of us, whether financially due to Gordon Brown's BOOM AND BUST economics or through GLOBAL WARMING. Frankly, I thought this sort of stuff would take at least a couple of decades to take effect, particularly GW. I was wrong. It's happening now. You don't believe me. Good. Watch. I saw Alastair Campbell in Millbank before New Labour took over. He seeming deeply scary. I always worry when someone is not open to debate. I can well understand the feral need to fight off the so-called Tory Press, but the methods of bullying went well beyond what ought to have reasonable behaviour. I told a colleague at the time, I think it was when Campbell went for Michael White's throat at one news conference, that the worm would turn. When you are bullied you either live or die. If you live you wait for the chance to get back at the bully. That was why I said that the Campbell-New Labour approach would be disastrous for the Labour Party. N.B. A final point. I thought the Labour Party represented those who clocked on and clocked off of a day for a manual job. If there's a statistician reading this I would suggest investigating just how many proper "working class" people can bring up a family without benefits. Then, you might see a need for a political party aimed at the poorer - but majority - of people in this country.

No comments: