Sunday 10 June 2007

On Modern Thrillers

I seem to have consumed rather too many modern thrillers in the course of research. they become more horrific and more simplistic, concentrating on one main character. Apart from that the plots are either visible from about a third of the way in or the conclusion is plain silly. Having just finished one, bought as a job lot of three from Morrisons for £4, I feel as though it's time for a change. We need more sophisticated thrillers. Why can't these writers create a feel for places and for characters? They seem so cardboard cutout in their likes and dislikes. I won't name the writer or the book I have just completed. It wasn't that bad but it wasn't that good. How do these people get an agent and a publisher? Of course I'm jealous, but only slightly since I know this is a hugely competitive business. I wouldn't be writing if I thought otherwise. Also, continuing and ending the rant, why can't they say something useful about the world? It seems that the underlying messages they express so obviously are nothing more than psychobabble dressed up in red-top tabloid speak. Okay, rant nearly over. Why, oh why, as Charlie D might say, do they all have to steal someone else's plot? The one I've just finished is a rewrite of Silence of the Lambs - a thriller which is the exact opposite of these pulp fiction books, a novel that actually had something to say and did so by creating a realistic world peopled with characters closer to the crims and victims than almost all other books. Dickens was a dab hand at that trick. The book I've just finished is the second I've read that takes Thomas Harris' plot. The previous one was like a bad rewrite. And the author got paid millions for it. Nor am I going to mention him or her or the machine! Okay, rant over. Sun still shining and the rats are still all fast asleep.

No comments: