Sunday 6 May 2007

Why?

There are times all seems lost and you come across something that accurately reflects your own life. This story seems to be one of them. It's a hell of a crazy life, as viewed from outside, until it becomes successful. By that, I mean commercially successful. When I began to walk the road of writer I often spoke about Dostoyevky's troubles and Kafka's oblivion while alive. I never meant to follow the road so precisely in their footsteps. Careful old me, I just avoided putting in an alliterative word prior to the final word of that last sentence. Will there ever be any hope? I emailed some webstuff to a new publisher but haven't heard back from them yet. I suppose now that the panic has really set in I am expecting instant success. So unrealistic. Never mind, the real world consists of the partner's afternoon session cleaning the rat cage and being unable to persuade the fourth ratty to return home. Just been done. Anyway, the goods news about this publisher is that Scott Pack, late of Waterstone's, is the commercial director. He was the one that got the publishing industry angry over his demands for story-led novels rather than the rubbish littering most of our shelves. Let's hope he goes for a good story-led author - ME! Hope I quoted you right Mr Pack, it was a synopsial precis. Having played a part in bringing up twin girls the story in today's papers about the missing three year old breaks my heart into a trillion pieces. The existence of kidnappers like this one, or more, is why I wanted to change the world with my writing. Still do. Anyone out there willing to give me a break?

No comments: