Saturday 5 May 2007

Time

Time was when time itself was simple. Not anymore it seems. There's a growing debate amongst serious scientists about the past, present and future. We know we live in the present, might have a future and definitely have a past. Now there's a possibility that we only exist in the Now. Today I came across some information that absolutely fascinated me. It's about how we might be able to predict the future. I wonder how many writers experience the thought that they have seen something before it happened? The experience is not exact. To use an exaggerated example you see an elephant crawling up the wall in front of your bed, and when you wake up there is something there, but it's a large spider. Not a good analogy. In March 2003 I was up all night trying to create the link that made a thriller work. I heard Heanor church clock strike three and the Nottingham train pass through the Langley Mill junction. Then it came to me: it was a fire that destroyed the entire family of the main living criminal character. That was a fire in a large East London terraced house. At four that afternoon I was in Nottingham waiting for a film to start when a curious, shaky feeling come over me. I bought a Pepsi and sat down with my new notebook from Eastwood - is the connection relevant, I think so - and saw a huge blaze in the middle of the country. A massive plume of smoke was rising from green fields and forests with bursts of violent flame. After the film I toodled around the city looking at the flats I used to live in before making my way home. I took the wrong road, ending up at the Hucknall intersection with the M1. Crossed it and nearly crashed the car. Ahead of me was the vision I had seen four hours earlier. It was an school in Heanor burning down but from the distance all that could be seen was the fire and the smoke on a beautiful spring night. There are also two other major premonitions that I have experienced, both connected with the death of my mother. More on those at a later date. Back to thinking.

No comments: